Serves 2 | Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1.5 cups of broken rice (You can use jasmine rice or short grain sushi rice)
- 7.5 cups of water
- 50g of dried scallops
- 2-3 tbsp of bonito dashi (You can swap this for kombu dashi)
- Japanese topping (furikake), to serve
- To make Okayu (Japanese Rice Porridge), add rice and water into a large pot or rice cooker pot. We use a 5:1 water to rice ratio for a thicker consistency. If you prefer a thinner consistency, change rice to water ratio to 7:1.
- Add dried scallops and bonito dashi. Skip the scallop and use kombu dashi to make it vegan. Stir to mix well. Cook at medium to low heat. Stir occasionally to prevent bottom from sticking. Add water if necessary. If you use a rice cooker, set to "Porridge" mode for 20 minutes.
- Once porridge is cooked, portion into small bowls. Scatter Japanese Topping (Furikake) before serving. You can also serve with pickles, green onions, cooked chicken, salted salmon or strips of nori. Enjoy!