Serves 4 | Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup of oil
- 200g of Tempura Batter Mix
- 100ml of water
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 sweet potato, julienned
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- Salt, to taste
- 4 x Soba Noodles
- Ice in bowl
- Soba dipping sauce
- 20g Wasabi Powder
- 1 Roasted Seaweed Sheet, cut into thin strips
- Roasted White Sesame Seeds, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan. While waiting for the oil to heat, mix 200g of Tempura Batter Mix with 100ml water. Add water gradually and stir. We are looking for a thick pancake batter consistency. You can also add some salt to taste.
- Once the oil is hot, add a handful of the carrots, sweet potato and onion into the batter. Carefully scoop out the veggies with a ladle. Lower veggie and batter mixture into the pan.
- Allow the tempura to cook for 1-2 minutes. Once the tempura is golden at the bottom, flip to ensure that the top is cooked. Allow to cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In a another pot, cook soba noodles for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Remove noodles from pot and immediately put noodles into ice bath to stop it from cooking. Remove from ice bath after 1 minute, drain noodles and place in a serving bowl.
- Prepare your condiments such as soba dipping sauce and wasabi powder as per instructions. Garnish with shredded seaweed and sesame seeds.
- Serve tempura, cold soba and its condiments immediately. Enjoy!
How to eatEnjoy this dish by mixing a small amount of wasabi, sesame seeds and seaweed into the soba dipping sauce. Make sure the wasabi is fully dissolved. Then dip some soba into the sauce before eating. You can also dip the tempura into the sauce for some extra flavour, or enjoy it as is.